Monday, March 21, 2011

Jacob's Well

At the well I found a stranger

and a polite request for water.

It was a hot day,

and the man had no bucket.


A Jew, I thought to myself;

still, at that moment

he was no different than I,

thirsty, and in need of a drink.


I gave him more than that,

flirted with him, (old habits!),

and asked how he could stand

to accept a drink from a foreign woman.


Taking the cup with a laugh, and a wink,

he made a joke

about water which refreshes

and lasts for ever.


Give me some! I said,

chuckling at the thought

of being spared my daily routine.

Imagine my surprise when he did!


I still walk to the well every day

to draw water; but now it is no chore,

now it is pilgrimage,

now it is worship.


© Ken Rookes

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...